The music Hs. 16.501 from the musical collection of the Austrian National Library is an anthology of different Haydn original works including the old hymn of the emperor “Gott erhalte Franz den Kaiser”, a melody which was, despite a short pause in history, the national hymn of Austria for the last 140 years and still today lives on as the national hymn of the Federal Republic of Germany.
• First written record of the melody
• First written record of the final melody for piano
• Complete score for both song and orchestra
• The four variations of this melody for string quartet Hob.III:77 (“emperor quartet”)
• The first printing of the hymn from 1797
We have 1 facsimile edition of the manuscript "Joseph Haydn: "Gott! erhalte Franz den Kaiser"": Joseph Haydn: "Gott! erhalte Franz den Kaiser" facsimile edition, published by Akademische Druck- u. Verlagsanstalt (ADEVA), 2008